Top 10 Rehabilitation Tips
Here’s the top 10 things you should know about rehabilitation if hurt in an accident
- Rehabilitation counselling/psychotherapy professionals help you understand, deal with, and recover from the injuries you incurred in the accident.
- People injured in auto accidents need specialized Rehabilitation counselling/psychotherapy professionals who understand the system and its procedures in order to help you access the benefits that you have paid for in your auto insurance. Many of the benefits that you may need to recover can't be accessed unless you have rehabilitation professionals working with you.
- Ontario created a system of no-fault accident benefit coverage’s to ensure that the public got the necessary treatment they needed in a timely manner. It doesn't matter who was at fault for the accident, what is important is that treatment is initiated as soon as possible to avoid long-term complications and unfair or denied access to treatment.
- You’re covered for most initial treatment expenses if you know how to access your benefits, there is usually no cost to you.
- Standard auto policies cover very little treatment. For a very small additional fee coverage basic coverage of only 3500.00 can be increased to $1 million for medical and rehabilitation care. Ask to increase your medical and rehabilitation coverage, an additional fee of usually only 60.00/year.
- Insurers, and the adjusters who work for them, are there to respond to requests for benefits and treatment, not to coordinate them or to initiate them.
- Other benefits that used to be included in your policy are now extra. There are no longer benefits to help you care for dependents, complete housekeeping and home maintenance tasks and repairs, or have someone care for you if you are unable to care for yourself.
- People often can’t get the legal help, or treatment from public health that they need because they don’t have coverages in place that support those expenses.
- People who access appropriate treatment generally do better than those who don't. Early treatment is associated with shorter periods of disability and better outcomes including faster return to work.
- Rehabilitation counselling/psychotherapy professionals help you, and in some cases other family members, deal with the fear and uncertainty that often lead to more serious emotional complications.
Need help dealing with your accident and related injuries? We have the rehabilitation team needed to help you including psychotherapy, case management, psychological assessment and treatment, occupational therapy, rehabilitation therapists, personal trainers, and vocational assessors.